Sunday, September 26, 2010

Music & Creation

I love music.  Over the past year, I have gone from a "diet" of mostly country to almost exclusively Christian music.  This shift happened gradually, and it wasn't really something I planned to do.  It stemmed from the grief I was experiencing due to my infertility.  When a Christian goes through difficult times, they tend to react in one of two ways: 1 - turn away from God, or 2 - turn toward Him.  I chose the latter, and I'm so glad I did.  I can't imagine going through those months without Him by my side, and I certainly don't want to go through any future struggles without Him.

Christian music has helped me to keep that focus.  Since music is almost a constant in my life, it's not unusual for the lyrics that I've allowed to penetrate my mind to randomly pop into my head throughout the day.  I needed those lyrics to be positive and encouraging.  I still listen to non-Christian stuff.  I didn't swear off anything and everything "worldly" (as if there was ever any question about that!).  I just feel it is important to make a conscious choice to fill my mind with lyrics that are God-honoring, worshipful, and prayerful.  Especially prayerful.  I've found so much comfort and hope in music during times when my heart was aching so badly I didn't even know how to pray.  I thank God for the songwriters He's blessed with such amazing talent - everyone from the hymnwriters of old to those of today.

Lately I've found myself drawn to songs that talk about God's creation.  Some are new; some not so new.  Here are a few of my favorites:

The classic hymn, The Love of God, was penned by Fred­er­ick M. Leh­man in the early 1900s, but has been recorded by many artists and groups over the years (my current favorite is the MercyMe version).  When I sing along with this song, I can clearly see these images in my mind, which makes it come to life even more.  I just love how picturesque this verse is:  "Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made.  Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade.  To write the love of God above would drain the ocean dry; nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky."

I love the descriptiveness of the words from Phillips, Craig & Dean's Revelation Song: "Clothed in rainbows, of living color, flashes of lightning, rolls of thunder.  Blessing and honor, strength and glory and power be to You the Only Wise King."

A fairly new song that is getting a lot of air time right now is Starry Night by artist Chris August: "From the birds that sing in the tallest trees, to the human life of you and me.  From the desert sands to the place we stand.  He is God of all. He is everything. I'm giving my life to the only one who makes the moon reflect the sun, every Starry Night.  That was His design." 

Perhaps the song that communicates the point of this post best is Light Up the Sky by The Afters: "You light up the sky to show me You are with me. I can't deny, no I can't deny that You are right here with me. You've opened my eyes so I can see You all around me. Light up the sky, You light up the sky to show me that You are with me."

I can't tell you how many times this last song has gone through my mind as I was driving down the road in a rain storm, watching lightning shoot across the sky.  God is powerful, my friends!  And He is there, whether we feel like He is or not.  I see Him in ever beautiful sunset, and when I watch rays of sunshine streaming through billowy clouds. I think that's why God made His creation so beautiful.  He wants us to remember He is here.  And I'm thankful for the music that helps remind me of this fact.

I'll close with these words from one of my all-time favorite hymns:

How Great Thou Art
Lyrics ~ Carl Boberg, 1859 - 1940
Stanza 1:
O Lord my God,
When I in awesome wonder
Consider all
The works Thy Hand hath made,
I see the stars,
I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy pow'r throughout
The universe displayed; 

Stanza 2:
When through the woods
And forest glades I wander
I hear the birds
Sing sweetly in the trees;
When I look down
From lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook
And feel the gentle breeze; 

Refrain:
Then sings my soul,
My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art!
How great Thou art!
Then sings my soul,
My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art!
How great Thou art!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE How Great Thou Art. I also love that most Christian music is scripture, so I am not only uplifted and encouraged through music but I am hiding His word in my heart at the same time.

Suzann said...

You missed a few of the "lights" on Light up the sky - "light light light up the sky..." :)

God IS powerful! There is much in this post that I thank God for, including how He is drawing you to Him.