Wednesday, December 8, 2010

General Rule # 213: Not a Fan of Birthdays


As you may have noticed, I enjoy saying the phrase "as a general rule." Typically, it's tacked on at the end of a sentence and requires no further explanation. For instance, I do not like cream cheese, as a general rule. Occasionally I may feel the need to expand on a "general rule," and what better way to do that then on this blog? So in honor of my birthday last month, I thought I would share with you why I'm not a fan of birthdays... as a general rule. :o)

My first birthday.  :o)
Birthdays have never been a big deal to me. Part of that has to do with how I was raised. My parents didn't spoil me and my siblings. We didn't get showered with gifts. We would occasionally have a birthday party, but having a birthday didn't necessarily guarantee having a party, and we were okay with that.

My one-and-only grandma subscribed to the "children shouldn't be spoiled" philosophy. It was not unusual for her to tell us, "I didn't get you anything because you have enough toys." Lol! I love my grandma. :D She's the only one I've ever had, so I never knew most grandmas weren't like that until I grew up!

When I was younger, we did celebrate. Always. But it was low-key and usually just family. As we got older, we always got one special gift that we picked out ourselves. There are several very special birthday gifts that stand out in my memory...

The year I received a real Cabbage Patch Kid, I vividly remember going to Children's Palace and sorting through the mountain of boxes, looking for the doll with both the perfect name (which I can no longer remember) and look (blond with blue eyes).  And then on the morning of my birthday, my mom woke me up holding the doll in her arms, like she was a nurse at a hospital, saying, "Here's your baby, ma'am." That sweet memory is now bittersweet since I will never have the joy of experiencing that with a real baby... but I still cherish it. ♥

The gift I received for my 16th birthday was very exciting to me -- but not because I was getting my license (I didn't get that until I was 18). That one was special because after many years of wearing glasses with bottlecap-thick lenses, I finally got contacts! I swore I'd never go back to glasses, yet here I am, 20 years later, wearing glasses almost exclusively. And loving them! Go figure. :D
First school pic without glasses!! 
(Please ignore the big hair, unplucked eyebrows, and awkwardly posed arms.)
Another memorable gift -- and probably my all-time favorite -- was one I received when I was a college sophomore. I had been desperately wanting a digital piano so that I could practice in my dorm room, but I didn't think my parents would ever be able to afford the one I wanted. Oh me of little faith! On that birthday, I remember coming back to my dorm room and finding a note my roommate had transcribed from my mother, that read: "For your birthday, we're seriously looking at going ahead with the keyboard.  Please call home with the details!!" I still love that gift...  (although it's currently needing to be repaired, because someone was stupid and left it plugged into the wall without a surge protector - *sigh*)

My family stopped exchanging gifts for birthdays MANY years ago. Scott & I typically just give each other a card and some candy or a single rose (for me - not him!). My in-laws, however, spoil me. Bigtime. My mother-in-law and Scott's grandparents always give me a generous cash gift each year, and I am more than happy to spend it on myself. :o) So, I do get some birthday money each year, lest you feel sorry for me. :P  I'd truly be fine if I got nothing, though. 

Well, there you have it.  My first "general rule" post.

For the record, general rules are made to be broken.

Plus, there are frequently exceptions to each general rule.

Just so you know.  ;o)

1 comment:

dleatherland said...

OK, so I don't typically comment on other people's blogs ... as a general rule. I share your unenthusiasm about birthdays. They come, they go. Eh.

Nice school pic BTW ... no comments on that one from me, though, lest the mullet-bashing commences.