Wednesday, June 1, 2011
General Rule # 78: Not a Fan of Thrift Stores
When I was growing up, my family did a lot of shopping at thrift stores. I never liked thrift stores, for a number of reasons... the smell... the disorganization... the worn, dated clothing... Once I became an adult, I would occasionally venture into a thrift store here and there, but my sentiment never changed... until recently.
I've found a thrift store near my work that I absolutely love. The first time I walked inside, I saw neat and tidy rows of color-coordinated clothes, and private, clean dressing rooms, and I immediately knew I'd found the perfect place for me.
As if those two things alone weren't enough, when I riffled through each section of colors (have I mentioned how happy that makes me?), I kept finding name-brand items. Tommy Hilfiger jeans for $15? Yes, please! Eddie Bauer sweatshirt for $5? Absolutely! GAP dress pants for $5? Okay! I am by no means a clothes snob, but there's something very satisfactory about wearing a "label" and knowing that you only payed a tiny fraction of the original price (which was obviously marked up excessively!).
I still wouldn't say that I'm a fan of thrift stores in general... but this one store has made me more likely to give other thrift stores a chance. You just never know what kind of treasures you might find. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Sounds great! I, too, love organized racks! Good times...
I love thrift stores. I recently bought three shirts, two of them never worn (they still had original tags, partly torn off) for a few bucks a piece. I also find a lot of books that I want to read at our local Goodwill. I just bought two books for $3 a piece and they are practically brand new. I find that I have to pick and chose though, sometimes it's hit and miss, but when you hit - it's great!!!
Yep, I've had a love affair with thrift stores since college. No money, hand-me-down clothes, and without much warning, we're all told we have to dress "Professionally." I managed to find some great stuff on the cheap. I've been hooked ever since. It's like 15 garage sales all under one roof, with dressing rooms, and I only have to get out of my car once! :)
Post a Comment