Sunday, April 1, 2012

grieving {with hope}

Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 (NIV)

Tonight I am grieving for a friend.  She is a friend whom I have never met in person and have only interacted with online, yet she is a friend I care very deeply about. My friend's name is Mandy, and she became a first-time mommy just a few days ago.  No one truly "deserves" to become a mom, but if anyone did it would be this amazing lady.  

Mandy's pregnancy came after 9 years of desperate longing, earnest praying, and medical intervention.  She was initially carrying twins, but her world came crashing down the day she found out one of her precious children had died.  Then a few months later she found out that her baby girl would need heart surgery when she was merely days old.  Mandy spent the last couple weeks of her pregnancy in the hospital, because the doctors wanted to keep her baby safely inside for as long as possible.  

This breathtakingly beautiful little girl was born on March 24, but sadly, her mother's world came crashing down again when Abigail left this earth one short week after her birth.  Mandy was able to hold tiny Abigail in her arms as she slipped away into the arms of Jesus.

Photos by Simply Pictorial
Abigail's death is one of the many things in this world that I don't understand.  How could anyone even begin to make sense of a child's death?  As one of my dearest friends recently said, "It doesn't feel right that life just goes on when a baby dies."  Since my interactions with Mandy have all been online, it's surreal to be sitting at my computer, watching my online life going on like normal while I know how very deeply she is hurting.  It felt wrong going out to dinner and watching a movie last night when I knew Mandy would be coming home with an empty womb, empty arms, and facing an empty nursery full of baby things that will never be used.   

I can't imagine that kind of heartache.  I honestly don't know how the women who have experienced the loss of a child -- at any stage -- are able to keep breathing.  I don't think I could.  Their strength is amazing to me, and yet I know this strength did not come naturally.  They have been forced to learn how to live again and learn to keep moving forward while their painful wounds are ripped open again and again with every daily reminder of all that they've lost.  

I wish I could take away, or even partially carry some of Mandy's pain.  More than anything, I wish I could bring baby Abigail back... but I am grateful for the confidence that Abigail is safe in the arms of Jesus, fully healed and perfectly whole.  I just desperately wish she could have been like that on this earth. 

I'd like to think that some day we will all understand the tragedies of this life, but I tend to think we'll forget all about them when we see the face of Jesus.  Sometimes it's hard to remember that as much as it hurts now, this world and all the pain that comes with it is temporary.  Heaven is our final destination, and there will be many joyful reunions when we get there. 

7 comments:

Mary said...

Hey Esther, my heart is heavy reading this. People gave us lots of books after Payton died, but the only one that meant anything was the one that Suzann gave me. It's called "Holding On To Hope" by Nancy Guthrie. I would highly recommend it.
I'm praying that God can use you to bring comfort to these hurting ones.
Much love,
Mary

Liz said...

Esther, you have put into words so eloquently the emotions I'm sure a lot of us are feeling.
Love, Liz

Julia said...

Beautifully written... and yes, you've perfectly captured everything that's been on my heart last night and today. Mandy's family were in my prayers as I fell asleep last night, and were in my first thoughts when I woke up this morning. I can't begin to imagine the heartbreak... but I'm thankful that they have the certainty of being reunited with both their children one day.

Talley Mac said...

Absolutely beautiful. And the outcry of my heart. Simply beautiful. Thank you.

Grace said...

Yes, that's it exactly. Every word of it.

That Steven Curtis Chapman song is a beautiful song as we grieve... and hope. We know our goodbye is not the end.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this Esther. I'm so heartbroken for Mandy and Rob. I can't stop thinking and praying for them. May the Lord give them great comfort during these long days!

julied said...

Mandy has been such an encouraging part of our community and it was a pleasure to watch her pregnancy progress. It is heartbreaking to know that her prayed for, longed for children will not grow up in her arms. I rest in the hope of heaven and I continue to pray for Mandy & Rob.