Monday, September 27, 2010

My Favourite Things: Monday


Welcome to the second edition of "My Favourite Things: Monday."  You may have noticed that I did not post a MFTM last week.  This was due to my friend Thelma being on the other side of the pond for several days.  For some reason she did not feel the need to prioritize blogging while she was in Europe...  Like work and sightseeing is more important than blogging??  <insert eyeroll here>

At any rate, she is back, and I am extremely happy about that!  However, I had a tiny panic attack when I saw the topic for today:  HOUSE PLANTS.  Yikes.  This is not good.  I know nothing about house plants!!  Nor do I care anything about them.  Which is kinda funny, since I used an assortment of them as decorations at my wedding reception...  Some of which came from my parent's house, since they have always had a large assortment of house plants.

So, I decided to ask my dad for his assistance with today's topic.  He agreed to help me out, although I did get accused of sneakily trying to get him to start blogging. Hmmmm!  Hadn't considered that, but now that you mention it, Dad...  (tee-hee!)

Without further ado, here is my dad's very first blog post (and yes, he even provided the pictures!):

I have been asked by Esther to write a little about my favorite house plants. Since she is not a plant person, here are my favorites. As I have had some health issues the last few years, my favorites have to be hardy.

Number one on my list is the Angel Wing Begonia. There are many different varieties. This is the one that was at Esther's wedding reception. I gave away that plant as it got too big for me to handle. It was over 4 foot tall and a very beautiful plant.
Angel Wing Begonia
Closer view of leaves on the begonia.
Number 2 on my list is the Christmas Cactus. I don't have it anymore as the squirrels took a liking to it. I put all my house plants outside when it is frost-free.
Christmas Cactus
Close-up on Christmas Cactus

Number three is Swedish Ivy. This is a very easy plant to grow. It is a good plant for a hanging basket. It takes very little effort to grow. Just water with miracle  grow during the winter and you will be rewarded with flowers.
Swedish Ivy
A cactus in bloom.
If you want indestructible plants, try cactus, aloe plant, or mother-in-law tongue. Our mother-in-law tongue actually bloomed this year. I have never had one bloom for me before. The aloe plant is good to have around to treat burns with. A first aid plant that requires very little care.



Mother-in-law Tongue
I have never had a problem with cats eating these plants and getting sick. I have had to move a plant or two to discourage them sometimes. All cats are different and I can not guarantee they will not take a liking to some of your plants. Philodendrons are a plant that is poisonous to animals. It is unfortunate as it is an easy plant to grow.
With the exception of the begonia, all of these will survive in a shady portion of the house. I  keep my plants in south and west facing windows as this the only options I have.

So, there you have it!  Didn't he do a great job for his first blog entry??  Thanks, Dad!   You're the BEST!!  ♥ ♥ ♥

Don't forget if you decide to "play along" on your own blog, make sure you post a link in my comments.  Or feel free to tell me about your favorite house plants in my comments section.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never had a guest blogger before, how fun!

Scott said...

Your dad has the green thumb to make a Christmas cactus really bloom - better than anyone I know. I suspect he talks to the plants, that's probably why they do so well!

Rachel said...

Ooo, a guest blogger. You rock! :)

Thelma said...

Thanks, Esther's dad! :)
I like the look of that Swedish Ivy..
I'll have to try and find some for myself!

Verification: parma