Monday, October 11, 2010
My Favourite Things: Monday
Now that Monday is almost over, I'm finally getting around to blogging about My Favourite Things: Monday. I would have blogged sooner, but I had to give some thought to today's topic: Thanksgiving food. In case you didn't know, today is Thanksgiving Day in Canada, so Thelma (who selects the topic for this series) has turkey and all the fixin's on her brain. Her post today is about stuffing, which is something that I dearly love. But, really... I love the whole ensemble of Thanksgiving dinner. Everything is equally important in my mind. I love turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie... How could I choose a favorite??
But then I remembered back to my first 2 Thanksgivings with Scott's family. That first year, I was introduced to one of their family traditions: gumbo. I quickly discovered that these people are very serious about their gumbo. So serious, some of the key ingredients are shipped from Louisiana. So serious, they make a HUGE batch and eat nothing but gumbo for every meal, for days on end (that's only a slight exaggeration.) To be honest, I wasn't crazy about gumbo at first (I've since acquired a taste for it!), and was a little disappointed that we didn't have a traditional Thanksgiving meal.
After that first Thanksgiving, Scott's mom realized how fond I was of turkey with all the fixin's, so she made sure we had a traditional meal the next year. But sadly... one crucial item was missing: cranberry sauce. And that's when I realized that, in my world, Thanksgiving just isn't complete without cranberry sauce.
I've always loved cranberry sauce, even as a child. I remember sharing Thanksgiving dinner with a family from our church one year... and my mother scolding me for mixing my turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce all together - and blending it thoroughly! - before eating it. Which is funny now, since anyone who knows my mom knows she's a far cry from Miss Manners!
But I'm getting off topic...
I'm not picky about my cranberry sauce. I grew up eating the canned variety, so I'm perfectly content with sliding it out of the can, and cutting it into even slices that are perfect for serving. And since the in-laws aren't as crazy about it as me, I just bring my own can each Thanksgiving. Which works just great for me. :o)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
We used to make it from scratch, but you wouldn't eat it. So we bought canned jelly. That is all it is you know. Cranberry sauce is not real unless it has the berries.
Dad
Fine! Jelly! I still love it. :o) Unfortunately, by the time I grew up enough to enjoy the kind with berries, my stomach couldn't handle the acidity. Which is yet another reason to love the "jelly." :D
please tell me you took that hilarious photo of the canned cranberry stuff. please. <3 essbee
Alas, I cannot claim it as my own. I can't even give credit where credit is due, because I found the imagine on multiple sites and have no idea where it originated. But isn't it great?? :D
Post a Comment